Prindi see leht

Chair of Animal Breeding and Biotechnology (VL TN)

A brief overview of the history of the Chair

Research and teaching in the area of animal breeding have been carried out since 1951, the year when the Estonian Agricultural Academy (the predecessor of the present Estonian University of Life Sciences) was established. The Chair of Animal Breeding was founded at the then Faculty of Zootechnics. The actual management and organisation of breeding activities, including performance testing of farm animals, were performed by the Breeding Department of the Estonian Research Institute of Animal Breeding and Veterinary Science, established in 1947. In 1964, the Department of Immunogenetics was founded at the Institute. In 1994, The Institute was merged with the then Estonian Agricultural University, and the Animal Breeding Department of the Institute of Animal Husbandry at the Estonian Agricultural University was formed.

The history of the Department of Reproductive Biology dates back to 1956 when the Laboratory of Artificial Insemination was founded as one of the seven subunits established at the Estonian Research Institute of Animal Breeding and Veterinary Science by a decree of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Estonian SSR. After the merger of the Estonian Research Institute of Animal Breeding and Veterinary Science and the Estonian Agricultural University in 1994, the Department was incorporated into the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the University.

On 1 September 2017, the Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding and the Department of Reproductive Biology were merged to establish the Chair of Animal Breeding and Biotechnology.